At the End of the School Year: Make Sure You Obtain Your Child's Medical Records
As the temperature begins to warm up we can tell summer is quickly approaching. The end of the school year is the perfect opportunity to obtain your families personal health records and medical paperwork.
At the end of each school year, you will be able to have copies of your child's health records. These personal health records are vitalif you are moving and need to enroll your children in a new school, you will need these records. That is why June may be the perfect time to update medical records and contact information to make sure that they are up to date and ready in case of an emergency. A child's medical records are not only important to enroll in school, they may be needed to help save your child's life!
At Meadowlands Hospital we recommend that you keep your child’s health records updated. These are some of the reasons:
• Medical records organize any health related issues such as allergies and medications that the children may be taking
• Medical records let school officials know about any pre-existing illnesses or conditions. This will have an impact on the kind of tests and treatments that will be administered during an emergency
• Records can show times, dates and reasons why your child was hospitalized
• Records will show if any special equipment is needed to assist your child
• Immunization records will be needed to enroll children in school. In some instances a child might be prevented from enrolling in school if they do not have the proper immunizations. These can be obtained at a doctor's office if you do not hold these records already
• Updating age, height, and weight will be essential to track aging process
• Insurance information will be recorded
Update and reevaluate all of their health records to ensure a safe and fun school year. If you or your children need any assistancewith their health records, please feel free to visit our services at Meadowlands Hospital or call us at 201-392-3100.